Saturday, December 18, 2010

The world would be better if we replaced alcohol with weed

Yup, I really believe that. If we replaced drunks with potheads this world would be a better place. I say this after I attended a wedding. It was a small, laid back ceremony until one guest got into the open bar. At the end of the night this particular dude and his woman got real drunk and bilegerent and started fighting. The dude then got in the face of another guy and all of the sudden I saw arms swinging. The two guys were seperated but the drama did not end. It must have taken 45 minutes to get this drunk and his woman out of the hall and on their way.

The drunk guy threatened to shoot the groom and a few other people, he screamed, he cried a bit and was overall a huge drunken asshole.

I am saying that weed is better than booze because of my expereince with intoxicants and because of the existence of evidence that back up my argument. According to a report by the Department of Justice in the U.S that was updated in August on an alcoholism site alcohol abuse contributes to 40% of all violent crime.

The link is here: http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/costs/a/aa980415.htm

That statistic is not surprising. How often do you watch the news and hear about an assault or a murder outside a bar? I have gone to bars and have seen cops arrive. I remember one incident where a girl threw a glass at another girl. I'm sure if anyone is reading this, they have a story of thier own about something they have seen a drunk do at a bar.

Alcohol is heavily involved in all crimes, especially violent ones. On the same site they report that two-thirds of all victims of domestic violence say that alcohol played a factor in the violence. Anyone who has been around alcohol knows this. We see it all the time, we know people who are violent or idiotic drunks. Yet alcohol is legal, bars are everywhere and alcohol is socially accepted. People swap stories of drunken escapades. They ask strangers if they are cracking open a brew when they get home. Alcohol is so acceptable in our society that people expect others like to drink. Yet marijuana use is frowned upon. We are told by lawmakers that marijuana is more dangerous which is complete bullshit. According to a stat published on drugwarfacts.org in 2006 22,073 people died from alcohol. That includes deaths from DUI's, homicides and poisoning. And not one recorded death in any medical journal in the world blames the direct usage of marijuana on any premature death.

I have been smoking pot for around 4 years. I have smoked pot with a certain circle of people as well as strangers. I have yet to hear any loud argument between people sharing a doobie, I have not seen one fight. So why is alcohol celebrated in advertisements, the media and in public? And why is pot illegal? I'll get into the latter question in a future blog, but I will stand by the argument that alcohol often causes people to act like idiots while according to my experiences marijuana use is chill, peaceful and non violent. If people at this wedding were smoking weed and not drinking their would be no problems.

I'm not saying alcohol should be illegal. Law enforcement and the government have no right to tell me what to put in my body. But we celebrate alcohol use, we accept it and we condone the violent aspects of alcoholism, but condemn marijuana use.

Everybody reacts to intoxicants differently, but marijuana is safer than alcohol. It does not rot your liver, it does not cause you to beat up your wife and it does not cause you to get in a fight outside a bar with a guy who gave you a dirty look.

We except all the evil alcohol brings and we lie about the "dangers" of marijuana. If we replaced weed with alcohol all crime rates would go down. If more people smoked weed instead of drinking beers we would live in a safer and chiller world.

I am sick of seeing the effect alcohol has on our society and how we accept it while condemning marijuana. I am sick of hearing about some guy getting killed by a violent drunk. I am tired of drunk idiots ruining weddings and I hope that one day marijuana will be legal because as I said in the title our world would be a better place if marijuana replaced alcohol.

No comments: